Stokes is a Suffolk based food business formed on the belief that food should be honest, simple, and delicious. Stokes carefully design unique recipes, using high quality ingredients at their ‘Saucery’ in rural Suffolk. Simply put, their aim is to make the very best sauce you can buy readymade!
Starting their sustainability journey
Stokes started working with Groundwork and the Carbon Charter in 2021. The Carbon Charter was Stokes first ‘green’ award but they have been pursuing sustainability initiatives for several years beforehand, developing the first fully recycled, fully recyclable squeezy sauce bottle which has led the way in the sauce market.
New sustainability initatives
Stokes sauces introduced several new initiatives that helped them to achieve the Gold level Carbon Charter award, including:
- Shifting to a 100% green electricity supply (and now working with their oil supplier to offset these associated emissions).
- Switching 75% of the fleet to electric cars.
- Introducing electric vehicle chargers for both their own fleet and visitors.
- Engaging in a new recycling project seeking to eliminate landfill waste.
- Working alongside the World Land Trust to achieve carbon neutrality (by offsetting emissions from their operations that cannot yet function without some fossil fuel use).
- Developing carbon neutral operations.
We take our environmental responsibilities very seriously at Stokes and are always striving to improve our ways of working. We want to achieve a greener, low carbon operation and this award reflects the steps we have taken so farRick Sheepshanks, Managing Director, Stokes Sauces